How to upgrade FreeBSD 7.2 to FreeBSD 8 stable using csup source code method including all ports?
csup is a general-purpose network file updating package. It is extremely fast program. Make sure you backup all data, MySQL / PGSQL database, and configuration file before attempting upgrade procedure.
Source-based upgrades from previous versions are well supported and recommend to gain full control of your FreeBSD 8 kernel and base systems.
- Edit supfile
- Grab FreeBSD 8 Base System
- Build FreeBSD 8 Base System
- Build FreeBSD 8 Kernel
- Reboot And Boot Into A Single User Mode
- Merge Configuration Files
- Verify New Installation
- Upgrade Ports (Applications)
Follow this detailed and step-by-step howto from cybercity.biz