The FreeBSD Mall is now shipping FreeBSD® Version 8.0. The four-disc CD set or dual-sided DVD is available for purchase, either individually or on a subscription basis at a discounted price. The FreeBSD Mall has a long tradition of providing a reliable source of software, documentation, and support to the open source community.
We are pleased to be the primary distributor of the FreeBSD 8.0 release. FreeBSD Mall takes its commitment to customer service very seriously, and will continue its current tradition of providing outstanding FreeBSD services and software through this latest release.
says Theresa Garner, General Manager, FreeBSD Mall, Inc.
FreeBSD Version 8.0 marks the beginning of the new 8-STABLE branch, which improves upon the functionality of FreeBSD Version 7.X and introduces new features. Key focuses of the FreeBSD 8.0 release include wireless networking, virtualization, and storage technology.
The release features the addition of Virtual Access Points (VAP) support to 802.11 wireless networking, which allows mulitiple wireless networks to be hosted from a single access point. Draft 802.11 mesh networking support allows FreeBSD-based devices to dynamically link together to create a larger wireless network.
In addition, virtual machine administrators can now create their own nested jails, and FreeBSD now supports host and guest modes in Virtual Box. FreeBSD 8.0 can also run as a 32-bit Xen Dom U guest.
Other notable features of FreeBSD 8.0 include:
- NFSv3 GSSAPI support, experimental NFSv4 client and server.
- 802.11s D3.03 wireless mesh networking and Virtual Access Point support.
- ZFS is no longer in experimental status.
- Ground-up rewrite of USB, including USB target support.
- Continued SMP scalability improvements in many areas, especially VFS.
- Revised network link layer subsystem.
- Experimental MIPS architecture support.