Installing and configuring FreeBSD as router is something most of us won’t do daily. It’s one of those jobs you do once, and when it’s up and running, you let your server / router do its work and you don’t touch it – unless there’s a problem.
Squid and DansGuardian are some excellent tools for caching and content filtering. Squid is a caching proxy supporting HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and more. It reduces bandwidth and improves response times by caching and reusing frequently-requested web pages. DansGuardian is a web content filter. It filters the actual content of pages based on many methods including phrase matching, PICS filtering and URL filtering.
Since configuring Squid and DansGuardian is not something we daily do, the following tutorial may be useful: Installing and configuring Squid and DansGuardian under FreeBSD.
If you run pfSense, you can install Squid and DansGuardian too.
Whatsapp, the popular messaging startup, managed to record 10 billion messages in one day, comprising 6 billion outbound messages and 4 billion inbound messages.
WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia!
Whatsapp tweeted about their new milestone last week:
“new daily record: 4B inbound, 6B outbound = 10B total messages a day! #freebsd #erlang.”
FreeBSD proves again it’s a great operating system for high demand services.
I came across the BSD Tutorial channel on youtube that has some useful videos. They’re short and clear.
The following are related to managing and maintaining FreeBSD:
- FreeBSD – invite users to root – www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJrRhV5c2XY
- FreeBSD – reset root password - www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCviG6F_JbU
- FreeBSD 9 – phpmyadmin – www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4CydVbmQk
- FreeBSD 9 – MySQL – www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-w0g-rMlew
- FreeBSD 9 – Apache22 http-server – www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1c1wPnW3Xo
- FreeBSD – Network setup (ipv4) – www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmXCrd1P5s
- FreeBSD – Hdd management Basic – www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQ7TJcvXd0
- FreeBSD 9.0 – Installation tutorial – www.youtube.com/watch?v=r74YTP7x-vU
The website related to this channel is http://bsdtutorial.org
- The KDE/FreeBSD team has announced that the Calligra 2.5 Suite of integrated KDE Applications is now available in the Ports tree.
- GhostBSD 3.0 Gnome RC1 is ready to test.