Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE, this is the first release of PC-BSD which offers users a variety of desktop environments to choose from, such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more!
Also available are pre-built VirtualBox and VMware images with integrated guest tools for rapid virtual system deployment, and native support for installing directly to OS X BootCamp partitions.
Some 9.0 highlights:
- Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE.
- Support for installing a variety of Window Managers, such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more!
- Improved PBI system, allows library sharing, binary diff updating, custom repositories, digital signing and more!
- Support for “freebsd-update” via the System Update GUI.
- New Control Panel, providing consistent configuration options across various Window Managers.
- Improved networking utilities, including wifi quick-connect.
- Enhanced “Life-Preserver” utility for doing off-site rsync backups of user data.
- New VirtualBox / VMware disk images, with integrated guest tools.
- Support for UFS+Journaling out of box.
- New graphical boot options page.
- Support for installation to BootCamp partitions on OS X systems.
- And much more!
Check out the press release: iXsystems Announces Release of PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope Edition